Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
The Third Triennial Johansen International Competition for Young String Players took place on March 13–15, 2003, at the Sumner School Museum in Washington, DC.
- First Prize – $10,000 – Hyun-Su Shin, age 15; student of Namyun Kim; from Chon-Ju, Korea.
- Second Prize, Tied – $7,000 – Jialei Li, age 16; student of Masao Kawasaki; from China/Houston, Texas.
- Second Prize, Tied – $7,000 – Joel Link, age 14; student of Almita Vamos; from Skokie, Illinois.
- Third Prize, Tied – $5,000 – Wonhyee Bae, 16; student of Aaron Rosand in Philadelphia, PA; from Seoul, Korea.
- Third Prize, Tied – $5,000 – Sharon Park, age 16; student of Robert Lipsett; from Castaic, California.
- First Prize – $10,000 – Alexander Link, age 16; student of Roland Vamos; from Skokie, Illinois.
- First Prize – $10,000 – Seung-Min Kang, age 15; student of Myung-Wha Chung; from Seoul, Korea.
Best Performance of Commissioned Work, Night Music, by Robert Gibson – $500 – Stephanie Jeong, violin, age 14; student of Aaron Rosand; from Passaic, New Jersey/Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Performance and Other Opportunities
Individual winners performed in a Winners’ Recital at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, and also appeared as soloists with the Gettysburg Chamber Orchestra, the Prince Georges Philharmonic, and the National Chamber Orchestra.
Robert Gibson, Night Music