Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
The Seventh Triennial Johansen International Competition for Young String Players took place March 19–21, 2015, at the Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, DC. To learn more about the 2015 competition, and to see what repertoire was performed during Semi-Final and Final rounds, take a look at the 2015 JIC Program.
First Place Winners (photo above, left to right): Lara Boschkor (violin and commissioned work); Hae Sue Lee (viola); and Zlatomir Fung (cello).
- First Prize – $10,000 – Lara Boschkor, age 15; student of Liviu Prunaru; from Kleve, Germany.
- Second Prize – $7,000 – Alice Lee, age 14; student of Victor Danchenko and Barry Shiffman; from Markham, Ontario, Canada.
- Third Prize – $5,000 – Maya Buchanan, age 15; student of Almita Vamos; from Rapid City, SD.
- First Prize – $10,000 – Hae Sue Lee, age 15; student of Roberto Diaz at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia; from Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Second Prize – $7,000 – Soyoung Cho, age 16; student of Soonwha Oh; from Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Third Prize – $5,000 – Yuchen Lu, age 16; student of Li Sheng; from Shanghai, China.
- First Prize – $10,000 – Zlatomir Fung, age 15; student of Richard Aaron and Julie Albers; from Westborough, MA.
- Second Prize – $7,000 – Ila Shon, age 17; student of Eric Sung; from San Francisco, CA.
- Third Prize – $5,000 – Esther Yu, age 14; student of Minhye Clara Kim; from Rye, NY.
Best Performance of Commissioned Work, Shades of Red, by David Froom – $1,000 – Lara Boschkor, violin, age 15; student of Liviu Prunaru; from Kleve, Germany.
David Froom, Shades of Red