Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
The 2009 Washington International Competition for Composition took place on March 22, 2009. The next composition competition will take place in 2012.
Composers regardless of nationality were invited to submit original, unperformed chamber works for three to five instruments in one of the following combinations:
- String trio (violin, viola, violoncello)
- Piano trio (violin, violoncello, piano)
- String quartet (2 violins, viola, violoncello)
- Piano quartet (violin, viola, violoncello, piano)
- Piano quintet (2 violins, viola, violoncello, piano)
First prize was $5,000, second prize was $2,000
The winners of the 2009 Composition Competition were:
- First Prize: Zhou Tian: “Trio,” for piano trio
- Second Prize: Ya-Jhu Yang: “Letters to Formosa,” for piano trio
Both prize-winning works received premiere performances at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, on March 22, 2009.