Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
Leslie Luxemburg, Competition Chair
The sixtieth annual Washington International Competition for Voice was held on Sunday, March 17, 2013 and Monday, March 18, 2013.
The semifinals were at the George Washington University in the Benjamin T. Rome Hall, 822 22nd Street, NW, Room B-120, on Sunday, March 17 from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. The finals took place in the Terrace Theater of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on Monday, March 18 at 7:30 pm.
2013 Competition Winners
- First Prize—Soloman Howard
- Second Prize—Abigail Mitchell
- Third Prize—Paloma Friedhoff Bello
- Finalist Prizes—Natalie Conte, Eric Jurenas, Laura Strickling
- Audience Prize—Soloman Howard
- First Prize—$10,000
- Second Prize—$5,000
- Third Prize—$3,000
- Three Finalist Prizes—$1,000
- Audience Prize—$1,000
Additional prizes may be awarded.
- Solo recital, Phillips Collection, Washington, DC
- Solo appearance with the FMMC Avanti Orchestra at the Kennedy Center Terrace Theater
- Solo appearance with the New Dominion Chorale
Louise McClelland Urban
Applications will be accepted from November 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012. Application information and forms are available at http://www.artsapp.com/wicvoice/.
Preliminary MP3 Repertoire
All repertoire on MP3’s must come from the submitted list of required repertoire:
- An aria from opera or oratorio by J.S. Bach, Handel, Haydn, or Mozart
- A French art song
- A German art song
- A song by an American composer 1900-present
- An operatic aria from the Romantic period-present
The total list of repertoire should represent 50–60 minutes of music. Specifics of the repertoire are:
Regulations and Instructions
- No changes in repertoire will be permitted once an application is submitted.
- The pre-screening and listening committees will review the MP3 submissions to select the semifinalists. Applicants selected for the semifinals will be notified by the end of January 2013.
- Semifinalists selected will be invited to compete in Washington, DC on March 17, 2013. Semifinalists will be offered housing while they are in Washington, DC. They must provide their own transportation.
- Semifinalists must be prepared to present all the repertoire listed on their repertoire list in the semifinals.
- Applicants must not be under professional management. They must be between 18 and 32 years of age at the time of the competition. Proof of age will be required. First prize winners from former years may not reapply.
- Singers of all nationalities are welcome to apply to the competition.