Sponsored by the Friday Morning Music Club Foundation
Competition Chair: Suzanne Richardson, Suzanne.email@example.com
Assistant Competition Chair: Katie Katinas, Katiekatinas@gmail.com
Foundation Director: Leslie Luxemburg, firstname.lastname@example.org
A benefit was held on May 14, 2016. See the flyer for more details!
The 63rd annual Washington International Competition for Voice took place on Saturday, June 18, 2016 (semifinals) and Sunday June 19, 2016 (finals).
The semifinals were held at the George Washington University in the Benjamin T. Rome Hall, 822 22nd Street, NW, Room B-120, on Saturday, June 18 from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm. The finals took place in the Terrace Theater of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday, June 19 at 2:00 pm.
- First Prize—$10,000
- Second Prize—$5,000
- Third Prize—$3,000
- Three Finalist Prizes—$1,000
- Audience Prize—$1,000
2016 Washington International Competition Winners (left to right): Names to come.
The winners of the 2016 Washington International Competition for Voice were:
- First Prize and Audience Prize: Maggie Finnegan
- Second Prize: Jessica Lynn
- Third Prize: Mathilda Edge
- Finalist Award: Chonghwa Kim
- Finalist Award: Christine Lyons
- Finalist Award: Efrain Solis
- Solo appearance with the FMMC Avanti Orchestra at the Kennedy Center Terrace Theater
- Solo appearance with the New Dominion Chorale
- Solo appearance with City Choir of Washington
Frederica von Stade
Louise McClelland Urban
Further information is now available on https://getacceptd.com/wic.
Preliminary MP3 Repertoire
All repertoire on MP3’s must come from the submitted list of required repertoire:
- An aria from opera or oratorio by J.S. Bach, Handel, Haydn, or Mozart
- A French art song
- A German art song
- A song by an American composer 1900-present
- An operatic aria from the Romantic period-present
Regulations and Instructions
- No changes in repertoire will be permitted once an application is submitted.
- The preliminary judges will review the MP3 submissions to select the semifinalists. Applicants selected for the semifinals will be notified in April 2016.
- Semifinalists selected will be invited to compete in Washington, DC on June 18, 2016. Semifinalists will be offered housing while they are in Washington, DC. They must provide their own transportation.
- Semifinalists must be prepared to present all the repertoire listed on their repertoire list in the semifinals.
- Applicants must not be under professional management. They must be between 18 and 32 years of age at the time of the competition. Proof of age will be required. First prize winners from former years may not reapply.
- Singers of all nationalities are welcome to apply to the competition.
- For repertoire questions, contact Leslie Luxemburg at email@example.com.