Christine Kharazian, Chair
The Friday Morning Music Club welcomes high school students as members. We offer students numerous performance opportunities through our Student Recital Series. We also sponsor competitions for student singers, pianists, instrumentalists (strings, winds, brass, percussion), and composers, as well as the Johansen International Competition for Young String Players Ages 13–17 (violin, viola, cello).
Young persons of any age may become Associate Members of FMMC simply by applying and paying student dues. See our How to Join page, and download a 2017-2018 Membership Form available in PDF format. Music students ages 14 to 22 may become Performance Members of the FMMC by successfully auditioning through the same process as adults specified under “Auditions for Performance Membership.” Performance categories, repertoire requirements, audition dates, and the audition application form are available on our Auditions page. A formal recommendation from a teacher is not required for audition, but students should confer with their teacher before applying to ensure they understand the level of preparation expected.
Winners of the Club’s student competitions are awarded complementary Performance Membership for their initial year. All others through age 22 submit an application and pay dues. Please contact the activities chair at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Student Recital Series
Student recitals are held monthly (and occasionally twice monthly) from October through May. Each hour-long performance features two to four student soloists or ensembles. Soloists bring their own accompanist or may use one provided by the Club. Winners of our High School String Competition appear in recital at The Mansion at Strathmore Arts Center. Other recitals are held at community and retirement centers in Washington and suburban Maryland and Virginia.
2017–2018 Recital Schedule*
- Friday, November 24, 2017 at 11:00 am: The Mansion at Strathmore, 10701 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20852; String Competition Winners have priorities.
- Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:30 pm: Friendship Heights Community Center, 4433 South Park Avenue, Chevy Chase, MD 20815.
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm: Goodwin House, 4800 Fillmore Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22311.
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 7:30 pm: Friendship Heights Community Center, 4433 South Park Avenue, Chevy Chase, MD 20815; Woodwind, Brass, Percussion Competition Winners have priorities.
- Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 2:30 pm: Riderwood Retirement Community, 3110 Gracefield Road, Silver Spring, MD 20904.
- Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 3:00 pm: Steinway Piano Gallery, 11611 Old Georgetown Road, Rockville, MD 20852; Piano Competition Winners have priorities.
*Please note that dates are subject to change.
Catherine Rodewald Stewart Memorial Fund
This fund provides honoraria for pianists who accompany students at Club recitals. It is administered by the Club Treasurer, with recommendations from the Student Activities Committee.
Other Performance Opportunities
Students granted Solo or Chamber Performance Membership may perform in FMMC’s public solo/chamber concerts on a space-available basis. Solo and Chamber wind, brass and string players and Orchestra Performance string players may participate in FMMC orchestral performances with the assent of the conductor. Chorale Performance members may perform as ensemble singers.