Webster Alexander Rogers, Jr., Conductor and Music Director
See our fine concert review in the Examiner!
Founded in 1902 as a women's chorus, the Chorale of the Friday Morning Music Club became a mixed chorus in 1986. The group performs two major concerts each year, each of them with a full orchestra. The Chorale also participates in smaller concerts in December to celebrate the holiday season in song. The group has performed works by Bach, Beethoven, Bernstein, Brahms, Handel, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Poulenc, Rutter, Saint-Saëns, Schubert, Vaughn Williams, and Vivaldi, as well as lesser known, neglected literature. The group also performs original works by FMMC composers. Over the years, a number of the Chorale's performances have been reviewed favorably by local media.
Club members are invited to apply to be soloists for the Chorale's upcoming season (repertoire to be announced later this summer). Auditions will be scheduled in 15-minute increments to accommodate as many singers as possible.
Singers should prepare two short sacred solos (excerpts from longer arias are acceptable), either from the pieces we are performing or comparable works. An accompanist will be provided, but singers should bring two copies of the pieces they will sing, one for the pianist and one for the Chorale conductor.
Please note that in adherence to FMMC policy, the Chorale does not pay soloists.
For more details or to schedule an audition, please contact Joanna Rogers at 703-283-5603 or Joanna17761@msn.com.
2012–2013 Chorale Personnel
- Music Director and Conductor: Webster A. Rogers, Jr.
- Associate Conductor: Christine Wells
- Accompanist: Jonathan Hellerman
- Collegium Musicum Director: Thomas Meier
- Chair: Peter J. Baum
- Vice Chair, Music: Ruth M. Doherty
- Vice Chair, Soloists: Joanna Rogers
- Vice Chair, Programs & Assistant to Director: Christine Wells
- Secretary: Sonya Sobrian
- Archivist: Barbara B. Luchs
- Treasurer: Kathleen Meier
- Orchestra Manager: Christine Wells
- Assistant Orchestra Manager: Ruth M. Doherty
- Librarian: Leah A. Baum
- Publicity: vacant
- Logistics: Peter J. Baum
- Immediate Past Chair: Matthew C. Blum
In addition to the support it receives from the Club’s General Fund, the Chorale draws from a fund dedicated to its use. For information on how to contribute to the Chorale Fund, please go to our Donations page.
Photo: Mark Faber